Protect Yourself: Dilapidation reports are your property’s insurance against potential damages during earthworks, offering a detailed snapshot of its condition.
Expert Guidance: The necessity of professional inspectors for meticulous inspections, ensuring a reliable and comprehensive dilapidation report that can be used in disputes and court.
Legal Safeguard: Dilapidation reports can be used in court as independent, trusted proof of damage(or lack thereof) to a property.
Decoding the Essential Role of Dilapidation Reports in Perth
In the ever-evolving world of Perth construction and earthworks, the spotlight is on the critical role of a dilapidation report. Join us as Russell McCarthy, the expert in the field, sheds light on why these reports are indispensable for Aussie homes.
“Houses can get destroyed during earthworks, nearby earthworks, and this is why dilapidation reports are fast becoming a standard.”
How to Protect Your Home with a Dilapidation Report
Dilapidation Reports are detailed reports that capture any damage to your property
A dilapidation report is more than a quick snapshot; it’s a detailed album, capturing every nook and cranny of your beloved space.
“It’s not just a quick snap; it’s a detailed album, highlighting all the nooks and crannies of your place.”
Understanding the Necessity of Dilapidation Reports
Russell McCarthy delves into why these reports are your property’s insurance against unexpected vibrations, structural shifts, and potential damages during earthworks.
“I’m in a property here, and there’s an earthworking machine just arriving. I’m going to show you how much the properties can vibrate.”
When Should You Get a Dilapidation Report?
Good question. Lets talk about the ideal timing for a dilapidation report in Perth. In short, if you;re a home owner or a developer/builder, you should get a dilapidation report BEFORE contruction occurs and also one after. The point of this, is that you can compare the before and after reports to assess if the construction works caused any damage to the property. Russell provides insights into situations where it’s not just a suggestion but a practical necessity, both legally and pragmatically.
“That’s why dilapidation reports get done. It’s for your own good.”
The Art of Dilapidation Reports
Inspecting at the Right Time
Russell times the inspection at the perfect time while earthworks machines are operating next door. This way, he can measure and report vibrations and other risk factors in the dilapidation inspection.
“Before earthworks have begun compacting, take a listen to this. That’s the vibration that you can get on the other side of the house.”
On-site Insights: Russell McCarthy’s Earthworks Showcase
Now, the real action begins during the on-site inspection. Russell gives us a peek into what happens when earthworks are occuring in a neighbouring property.
“See the windows rattling. We’re on the other side of the house. Difficulty here at all. People wonder why dilapidation reports get done.”
Documenting Like a Pro: The Dilapidation Report Detective
Russell channels his inner detective, emphasising the meticulous documentation of every creak, crack, and subtle shift. It’s not just about what’s visible; it’s about capturing potential hidden damages.
“To be fair, the brickwork takes a lot of that vibration as well. It causes cracking, corner separation, causes cracking to benchtops, mirrors, shower screens, tiles, any non-flexible item.”
Bringing it All Together in the Dilapidation Report
After the dilapidation inspection is complete and the dust settles, it’s time to compile our report. Russell explains how this document becomes your property’s logbook, detailing its condition pre and post earth-moving events.
“Glass windows and sliding doors can be adversely affected as well from that vibration in nearby earthworks.”
Why Opt for Professional Dilapidation Inspections?
Using Expert Inspectors for Dilapidation Reports
Russell is a straight shooter and he understand the significance of involving professionals in the process. After all, safeguarding your Aussie haven requires the expertise of those who know the intricacies of the game.
“Get a dilapidation report done. It’s for your own good.”
Qualities of a Reliable Dilapidation Reporting Company
What makes a dilapidation reporting company worth your trust? Russell’s video showcases his attention to detail and his experience in understanding the consequences of earthworks and construction.
“That was a good demonstration because you could hear it in the glass. But yeah, glass windows and sliding doors can be adversely affected as well from that vibration in nearby earthworks.”
Legal Implications and Compliance
Do builders really need a dilapidation inspection for all surrounding properties?
Understanding the legal landscape around dilapidation reports is vital. Russell clarifies the legal obligations and compliance standards, offering a roadmap for property owners and builders.
In short, the builder/developer should get the dilapidation report on neighbouring properties to safeguard any false accusation later down the track from existing properties claiming damage to their property was caused by their construction activities.
Do home owners really need a dilapidation inspection?
We estimate that around 30% of homes in Perth incur some sort of major damage when neighbouring earthworks and construction occurs. So, yes, you really do need one. The dilapiation report before and after construction is solid unbiased proof that the construction activities were the cause of any damage at the time of construction and can be used in court or simply to take to the builder/developer to get them to fix the damage ammicably.
Our Final Say: The Case for Dilapidation Reports
From rattling windows to potential structural damage, Russell concludes by reinforcing the critical importance of obtaining a dilapidation report. It’s not just a procedural step; it’s a proactive measure for the longevity and stability of your Aussie abode.
“It’s for your own good.”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Why should I invest in a dilapidation report before starting construction?
- Russell addresses the proactive nature of dilapidation reports in preventing potential damages and legal complications.
- Can’t I assess potential damages myself?
- Russell explains the intricacies involved in a professional dilapidation report, highlighting the expertise needed for a comprehensive evaluation. Also, the dilapidation report from a professional is an independeant verifiable document that can be used in court.
- How often should I get a dilapidation report done?
- The frequency of dilapidation reports varies. Generally, before and after construction.
- What if I skip getting a dilapidation report?
- It’s quote simple. If you’re a home owner, and you notice damage AFTER construction occurs next door, theres nothing you can do to claim the builder caused damage. It’s too late. You have no proof.
- If you’re a builder and a home owner on a neighbouring property sues you for damage caused to their home during the time of your construction, you now have a massive financial and legal burden on your hands. You have no way of proving the damage was NOT caused by your construction activities.
- Is it mandatory to hire a professional for a dilapidation report?
- An independent, reliable and accurate assessment is vital. If the reports do actually detect damage to the propety, then you have verifiable, indepdent, trusted inspectros that have documented the damage in the dilapidation report which can be relied upon in court if required.