WA Building Inspections’ sophisticated technology screens the property for any traces of methamphetamine. We also provide free recommendations for decontamination if required.
Start With a Free Custom Quote
Transparent Pricing | Price Beat Guarantee
What You Get
- We thoroughly inspect each room of your property with sophisticated non-intrusive technology to ensure that your property adheres to methamphetamine contamination regulations.
- Australian laws (EPA and local government) say that meth contamination above 0.5 micrograms in a space 100cm square (0.5μg/100cm²) is not acceptable.
- Our screening services are conducted using the NIOSH Method 9111 (meth on wipes by liquid chromatography – mass spectrometry) and tested in our Australian based laboratory.
- Expertly-trained technicians will carry out Base Composite Screening at your properties with results being provided within a week – ensuring your peace of mind.
Meth Decontamination Recommendations (if required)
- Contamination levels greater than 0.5μg/100cm² require a property to be remediated. Decontamination can require treating or ripping out carpet, curtains, wall linings, ceilings, electrical wiring, air conditioners, heating and insulation.
- Discovering contamination as early as possible makes remediation less expensive. It also means meth using tenants can be evicted before contamination levels increase any further.
- We are not linked to any remediation companies, so as with all our inspections we provide an unbiased assessment of the property. After samples are correctly taken, analysis is conducted at a National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) laboratory.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do I need Meth testing on my property?
Landlords face lawsuits from tenants moving into an already-contaminated property, and adjoining neighbours may also seek legal advice. Our meth testing ensures your property is safe and provides you peace of mind for any future legal action.
There have been cases recently where tenants have sued landlords, because health problems led to discovery of meth residue in the homes they were renting. Screening for meth residue between tenancies ensures you are living up to your responsibility to provide a home that is fit for purpose.
Am I responsible as a landlord if a tenant gets sick due to undetected meth residue?
As a seller and as an agent as well as a buyer, you are responsible for mitigating the risk associated to your home, the seen risks and the UNSEEN risks, dangerous or levels too high means landlords and property owners could face legal action from tenants, new owners or neighbours, as the health risks are huge, and residue does not just “go away over time”
The Australian Crime Intelligence Commission said meth accounted for 88.2 per cent of illicit drugs used by WA residents – the highest percentage in the country, 54 per cent of the population, revealed West Australians consumed around 60 doses of meth (per day, per 1000 people).
Respiratory problems, headaches, nausea and even behavioural changes in small children as well even addiction. Long-term exposure can lead to miscarriage, birth defects and cancer.
Residues that stay behind in houses is not visible has no chemical odour or smell. The maximum acceptable meth contamination levels are 0.5 micrograms per 100cm2, framed by the Environmental Protection Authority of Western Australia (EPA).
You will require a rapid test to first identify the levels of contaminants, carried out by an inspector certified by NIOSH 9111 (NATA Accredited), if these tests return a positive reading, further testing will be carried out to determine the remediation required to satisfy a safe home for your family, remediation can vary based on what contamination levels are found after further lab tests are carried out, remediation can range in price from $3000 – to $40 000 and is often not covered by insurers, we recommend including Meth testing in all your Pre Purchase Building and pest Inspections so you are fully informed, combining services certainly offer a more affordable option
What do you include in the report?
We document our finding, any signs of meth use and commentary in plain-english. Our comprehensive report also includes comprehensive and full photo reports.
If your report finds signs of meth use, can I evict my tenant?
The inspection report provides you with proof that meth has been used or manufatured in the property at some point in time.
We recommend rental properties are screened regularly for meth residue, certainly before a new tenant takes occupation, and definitely afterwards before a potential sale.
This process can establish which tenant used or manufactured meth at the property.
How much does meth testing cost for my property?
Methamphetamine and Drug Testing costs $445 Including GST.
Remember, we have a price beat guarantee!
Am I required to inspect my house for meth use?
This is fast becoming an area the government is focusing on, estimating that in 2021 all real estate companies will be forced to ensure all homes, sold or tenanted out, will require a meth test done.
Meth contamination is invisible, has no smell, and is a very toxic. You may be astounded to know that a large threat to rental properties is not meth labs, it is meth users. It is estimated around 20% of contamination problems are linked to labs, whereas 80% to meth users.
Australia has the highest number of meth users per capita in the English-speaking world, and that number is now three times higher than it was in 2011. Smoking meth regularly can contaminate a home and regular smoking of the drug can return contamination readings as high as those produced by a meth lab.
what are the signs of meth use in my house?
While meth residue is odourless and invisible, exposure can cause a wide range of health problems for the property’s occupants, including:
- Respiratory problems – especially for those suffering from asthma
- Behaviour problems in young children
- Sleep pattern changes in children
- Increased susceptibility to illness
- Eye and skin irritation
Do you perform same-day inspections?
Yes. Our entire business model is focused on getting you the highest quality, detailed meth inspection reports within 24 hours. That’s the WA Building Inspections difference.
Other Building Inspections
Perth’s most comprehensive Building Inspection. We uncover what the others don’t because we go where the others won’t including house interior and roof space of your home.